Thursday, October 25, 2007

We've left Sarajevo ... Nis one!

We finally extricated ourselves from Sarajevo ... yay!! (not that I'm happy to be gone from one of the most precious cities in the world, but I was starting to get afraid I might never leave!)

Last night I had the worst sleep ever. I couldn’t swallow because my glands were so swollen, I had heartburn, and I couldn’t stop coughing. I knew I was keeping Mike awake, so I tried to do anything I could to stop: I ended up sitting upright, propped up with a pillow against the wall, sucking on a candy cane in hopes that the mint would soothe my throat. I must’ve been quite a sight!

We woke up at 6:45 this morning (brutal) and caught a bus to Nis, Serbia, planning to head to Sofia from there.

It ended up being a bus ride from Hell that never ended: 7 hours passed, then 8 hours, 9, 10 ... 11 HOURS LATER we arrived in Nis, and we weren’t too happy about it.

We decided that catching a midnight bus to Macedonia wasn’t an option, and catching a 4:30am but to Sofia was just silly, so we had to spend the night in Nis, wherever the Hell that is.

We got a fairly nice room by the bus station, then headed into “town”. There is some sort of castle here, plus a very fast-flowing river, and a fair or something happening on the main street; frankly, we don't know a thing about this city.

We ate dinner at McDonald’s. Correction: I ate there. Mike is anti-McD's and actually had to go into the bathroom to give himself a talking-to in the mirror, Vincent Vega-style, because he was so tempted to have a McMeal.

We then went to a pub for a few beers (I had a Lav Pivo and Mike had a Jelen Pivo: they mean Lion and Deer), bought some apple pie on the way home, now we're watching “One Tree Hill” in bed. We have a few hours to kill here tomorrow, so hopefully we'll find out what the deal is with Nis.

No comments:

Post a Comment