Thursday, October 22, 2009

Welcome to Rovaniemi!

Well, I finally made it way up North to Rovaniemi (in Lapland), and I must say, I'm stoked to be here and I can't WAIT for the Santa Claus village tomorrow! I'm SOOOO hoping to see a reindeer and/or a husky!

When I arrived in town, I asked a cab driver how to get to the Hotel Santa Claus (where I needed to check-in to the Hostel Rudolph... perfect!). It was a bit of a hike to get there (my right arm is killing me from lugging around my 20.7-kilo suitcase!), but I finally found it on the main street, Koskikatu. The hostel was 600 annoying metres down the road, so I had to then drag all of my bags there, but I made it. This hostel is more like a hotel, and I'm quite happy that is as I didn't feel like staying in a dorm room tonight!

I quickly dropped my bags, then headed out to find the sauna (when in Finland...). It was in the changing room of the local pool, nothing spectacular, and basically, I paid 6 euros to get into an average sauna for a half hour. But it felt nice and I'm in Finland, so that's what I should be doing!

I went back to the hostel afterwards, had a luxuriously-long shower, put on face and hair masks, blow-dried my hair, lotioned-up, had a beer, then headed out for a burrito dinner.

And... it's snowing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment